There Was An Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe
There was an old woman, who lived in a shoe.
She had so many children, she didn’t know what to do.
She gave them some broth without any bread,
She whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.
1. If the old woman was aged three times as old as the shoe where she lived, which was 21 years old, how old was the old woman ?
2. The old woman’s shoe needed new laces. One cost £1.99 – how much did two cost ?
3. For every shoe size, there were two rooms. If the old woman’s shoe was size 8 – how many rooms were in her house ?
4. She had one child every two years from age 20 to 42 years. How many children is that ?
5. The old woman served each child with two bowls of broth. Each bowl contained 50 mls, how much broth did she cook in the pan ?
6. If the old woman who lived in a shoe whipped each child four times – how many times is that in total ? 7. The old woman didn’t have enough beds for each child – if each bed could fit three children, how many beds did she need ?
8. The old woman spent 20 minutes polishing her shoe every day – how long is that in one week ?
© Jacqueline Richards 2007 Answers :1. 63 yrs; 2. £3.98; 3. 16; ;4. 11; 5. 1100 mls; 6. 44; 7. 4; 8. 2 hrs, 20 mins.